It is in this light that we are extremely proud to launch our very first ‘Arts and Culture Week’ across the entire Herzlia system where our pupils will be given ‘opportunities, inspiration, encouragement and mentoring’ to participate in a variety of activities during the course of next week. Some examples of what will be happening across our campuses:
Herzlia High School
- An official Opening of the new student art space
- The Opening of the Herzlia Alumni art exhibition
- Grade 7-11 pupils will have a special programme each day at school with activities from Theatre sports, Drama demonstrations, Mural painting and Musical tubes.
- Monday is ‘Music and Dance Day’ and highlights will include an opera workshop led by deputy principal, Mr Frank.
- Tuesday and Wednesday are ‘Book Days’ with a range of activities planned by librarian Sharon Geffen and the teachers.
- Thursday is ‘Film Day’ and children will be asked to dress up as their favourite film characters. Pupils will also get to visit the Wonderland Film Studios.
- Friday is ‘Art Day’ which will include the creation of ‘Buddy Portraits’
- Monday morning will see a launch with the Weizmann and Alon Ashel Choirs performing their Feel the Beat renditions. Local author, Celeste Nirenstein, will talk to the FP pupils and read her book “Cheesecake Eats The World”.
- Grade 1 and 2 classes will visit the Artscape Theatre to enjoy a play about their favourite characters Biff, Chip, Kipper and of course, Floppy the dog from the Oxford Reading Tree Series. Grade 3 will visit the Jewish Museum to be immersed in Jewish culture and heritage.
- The Grade 4s will be having a presentation on the book called “Sadako and the One Thousand Paper Cranes” which is a book about a child who, after being diagnosed with radiation sickness from the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, is told by her friend to fold origami paper cranes (orizuru) in the hope of making a thousand of them. The pupils will then make their own origami and we hope that some of these will be displayed at our Parent Showcase later in the week. They will be having a cooking demonstration at the Serphardi Shul. To end the week the Grade 4s will be going to the Zeitz Art Gallery.
- The Grade 5s will be spending a morning at The Peter Clark Art Centre in Claremont. They will also be going to the Sephardi Shul for a cooking demonstration where they will be making cheese and potato bourekas.
- The Grade 6s will be visiting the Cape Town Jewish Museum where they will enjoy a guided tour of the new Union of Jewish Women (UJW) exhibit, which showcases the organisation’s many achievements since its founding in 1931. They will take a tour around the Cape Peninsula atop the famous Red Bus which will include a trip on the glass-bottomed ferry to Seal Island.
- Parent Showcase: On Thursday all parents are invited to pop into the Weizmann Hall to experience elements of the Arts & Culture week in person. There will be a Gallery Walk showcasing how Weizmann integrates Arts and Technology into many aspects of school life. Besides an art display, various interactive spaces will be available where parents and children can play, create and make memories together.
- Gilly Southwood will be visiting for storytelling and the choir from Herzlia Highlands Primary will be in to share their songs with the children.
- There will be a visit to watch the St Cyprian’s Marimba band on Friday 25 August 2023, everyone will dress up as their favourite book character.